Thursday, July 3, 2008

Swiftwater Certificate

Well at long last can say I have my swiftwater certificate. Battered and Bruised I have a great respect for the cold fast moving waters of our local rivers. I knew rivers were hazardous, heck I have rafted the Grand Canyon, done several Eastern Washington raft trips, and even paddled my kayak 100 miles of the Missouri River. I learned a lot about how a single person floating in a river current will feel. Now imagine falling off your inner-tube or out of your raft. Wow, cold and nearly impossible to stay above water even with a river life jacket. Absolutely impossible for weak or non swimmers without life jackets. With thermal protection and a helmet I had an ice cream type headache most of the time we were passing through rapids.

No comments: